Palatable prawns are cooked in hot spices and then bathed in the creamy flavor of coconut milk. Chingri refers to the river prawns.
- 600 gm hilsa
- 3 Tbsp mustard oil
- 2 Tbsp mustard seeds
- 3 tsp poppy seeds
- 6 green chillies-slit
- 4 Tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 tsp panch phoron
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Marinate the fish with salt and turmeric.
- Soak mustard and poppy seeds and grind them into a paste.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan and splutter panch phoron.
- Add ginger paste and mustard-poppy paste and saute.
- Now add turmeric and red chilli powder.
- Add the marinated fish with green chillies and salt.
- Add the tomatoes. Mix well and cook on a slow flame.
- Once done, serve with steamed rice.