This features high on every Mallu restaurant's menu and lunch table. All you need to do is pick a fleshy white fish and smear it with onion, tomatoes, garlic, green chillies and coconut paste - Fry, temper and serve!
- 250 gms white fish (cut into cubes)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium tomato
- 6-8 garlic cloves
- 2 fresh green chillies (deseeded), sliced
- 6 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup fresh coconut paste
- 1/4 tsp red chilli paste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Whole dry red chillies
- 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 8-10 Curry leaves
- 1/2 cup tamarind extract
- 1 cup water
- Make a paste of onion, tomatoes, garlic and green chillies. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add coconut paste and cook until golden brown.
- Add dry spices and cook for about 3 minutes, keep stirring.
- Remove from heat and keep aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in another saucepan.
- Add whole red chillies, curry leaves and mustard seeds.
- Fry until the seeds start spluttering.
- Add onion paste and fry until brown.
- Add the cooked coconut paste, tamarind extract and a cup of water.
- Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Add fish pieces and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with boiled rice.