Naat Yakhn or yogurt lamb curry is a comforting yogurt based lamb curry cooked in mawal flowers, black and green cardamoms, onion paste and dry mint leaves quintessentially Kashmiri!
- 700 gm assorted lamb-cut into large pieces
- 2 1/2 liters water
- 1 1/4 tsp ground garlic
- Salt to taste
- 8 green cardamoms
- 4 black cardamoms
- 6 cloves
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp dry ginger powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp onion paste-fried
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder-dissolved in 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup desi ghee
- 1/2 cup dry cockscomb (mawal) flowers-heated with 1/2 cup water; extract
- 1/2 tsp black cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp dry mint leaves
- 1.Bring the water to a boil in a deep pan.
- 2.Add the lamb and remove the scum that rises to the surface.
- 3.When the water is clear, add the garlic and continue to boil for 4-5 minutes.
- 4.Add the salt and cook until the lamb is half done.
- 5.Add the green and black cardamoms, cloves, turmeric powder, ginger powder, onion paste, yogurt, red chilli water and ghee.
- 6.Mix well, reduce heat and cook covered until the lamb is tender.
- 7.Add the cockscomb flower extract and black cumin seeds.
- 8.Mix well and sprinkle dry mint leaves.