- 2 cups thick avalakki / poha / beaten rice
- fistful of groundnuts / peanuts
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ tsp sugar or as required
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- few coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- ½ tsp urad dal
- pinch of hing / asafetida
- 4-5 curry leaves
soak 2 cups of avalakki / poha in water for about 5 minutes or till they turn soft yet retain their shape. drain them and make sure the pohas are easily smashed when you press it.
heat oil and add mustard seeds, urad dal, jeera and hing. allow them to crackle. also add curry leaves at this stage.
now add chopped onions, chilli and ginger. stir fry till the onions sweat.
add turmeric powder, salt, sugar and saute for a few seconds.
now add soaked-drained avalakki (poha) and stir on a low flame. cover and cook for 1-2 minutes on very low flame.
sprinkle some lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves.
serve avalakki hot with curd and mixture along with masala tea.