Make delicious kothimbir vadis at home with the richness of cashew nuts. A classic Maharashtrian snack.
- 1 cup gram flour (besan)
- 30 cashew nuts
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp tamarind pulp
- Salt, to taste
- 4 Tbsp oil + to shallow fry
- 2 Tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1.In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients except oil. Add 1 1/2 cups of water and mix well to make a very thick batter.
- 2.Heat 4 tablespoons oil in a frying pan over a low heat. Add the prepared batter and cook, stirring continuously, for 15 to 18 minutes till the mixture comes together to make a thick doughy batter. Remove from heat.
- 3.Grease a small tray and spread the mixture evenly 1 inch thick. Set aside to cool and steam it for at least 30 minutes so that it sets. Cut into 2 inch squares.
- 4.Heat the oil in frying pan and shallow-fry the squares till golden and crisp. Remove and drain on absorbent paper.
- 5.Serve hot with coriander chutney, mint chutney or ketchup.