Nippattu is prepared using rice flour, fried gram, chiroti rava (or maida) and coconut.
- 1 cup rice flour
- 2 TBSP maida/all purpose flour
- 2 TBSP fine rava / sooji
- 1½ tsp chilli powder
- ¼ tsp hing / asafoetida
- ¼ cup peanuts /ground nuts
- ¼ cup fried gram dal / hurigadale/ pottu kadalai
- 1½ salt
- 4 tsp oil
- ½ cup + 2 TBSP water
- Oil to fry
- Makes 24 nippattu
- Coarse grind the peanuts and hurigadale.
- To this mix add, rice flour, maida,rava.chilli powder,hing, and salt. MIx well.
- Heat 2 tsp oil, add it to the above mix, mix well and keep aside for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Then add water little by little and make it a medium hard dough.
- Divide the dough into 2 parts and in each part divide into 12 equal parts.
- Heat the oil on a medium heat.
- Take the dough, make it into a small ball, press it onto your palm to make a circle
- or roll it on a parchment paper(grease the paper) or on a plastic sheet.
- Once the oil is hot enough (check by adding a little dough to the oil, it has to come up immediately), add the prepared nippattu, one by one.
- Fry it until it turns golden brown color on both sides.
- Repeat the same procedure for the remaining dough.
- Once it cooled, store it in a airtight container and enjoy with the tea, coffee.